Re-opening of Harby Village Hall
The village hall has been made ready for use from September 7th
A new shelf has been added along the full length of the hall and its floor has been sanded and lacquered. A set of large-format photos of Harby in times past has been mounted on the wall opposite the main entrance. Click here for more information about the photos on display.
Welcome to Harby Village Hall
Our village hall provides a vital amenity for Harby, a community of about 900 people in the Vale of Belvoir in north-east Leicestershire. Regular users include Harby Primary School, Guides, Brownies, the Women’s Institute, and local music, art, exercise, dance and drama groups. It is also a venue for one-off village events and is available for hire for private functions.
There has been a village hall (formerly known as ‘The Institute’) on the current site since 1925. Prior to that, its predecessor – the Reading Room – occupied the first floor of a coach house on the far side of the present village car park, at the corner of School Lane and Langar Lane. The Institute was originally a reused corrugated iron army hut, built on land donated by Harry Furmidge, a local farmer. In the early 1950s, a brick kitchen and boiler house were added, and in subsequent decades the main building was converted to brick construction, extended and re-roofed.
Harby Village Hall is a Registered Charity (Number 1071575), managed by a group of volunteers. Documents that describe our policies are available for download using the links at the bottom of this page.